Cereal against Constipation, Abdominal Pain and / or nausea caused by a slow bowel passage
Start the day with a mix of fibre and seed containing foods with plenty of fluids can relieve constipation in 80-90% of patients. It reduces the transit time of your food and relaxes your bowels by adding bulk. Fibrous foods like the ones outlined below consumed regularly are thought to reduce the risk of bowel cancer in the long term. A slow bowel passage can be the cause of a large variety of symptoms of which abdominal pains and nausea are the most common.
Recipe of the Musli type cereal
- Rye Flakes
- Oat Flakes
- Dried Fruit
- Pumpkin seeds
- Sunflower seeds
What to do
- All these incredients can be obtained at health food stores i.e. Holland & Barretts and mixed according to taste in a big cereal container.
- Eating a bowl of this cereal every day will after a few days relieve most peoples constipation, reduce bowel transit times for food, reduce bowel spasm through prolonged bowel transit and “relax” your bowels by adding bulk.
- Patients suffering irritable bowel syndrome are advised to avoid dairy and eat the cereal using a variety of fruit juices.
- Should you still suffer symptoms after starting your dietary changes, please see your doctor again.
- For very young children that cannot yet have the above cereal I usually recommend to give Porridge with some Linseed and a mashed up banana for breakfast (mash and mix banana into hot porridge to cool down and add linseed). You can also put linseed into yoghurts etc.
Good Luck! – Dr Martin Kittel