Start the day with a mix of fibre and seed containing foods with plenty of fluids can relieve constipation in 80-90% of patients.
- Rye Flakes
- Oat Flakes
- Dried Fruit
- Pumpkin seeds
- Sunflower seeds
- All these incredients can be obtained at health food stores i.e. Holland & Barretts and mixed according to taste in a big cereal container.
- Eating a bowl of this cereal every day will after a few days relieve most peoples constipation.
- Patients suffering irritable bowel syndrome are advised to avoid dairy and eat the cereal using a variety of fruit juices.
- Should you still suffer symptoms after starting your dietary changes, please see your doctor again.
- For very young children that cannot yet have the above cereal I usually recommend to give Porridge with some Linseed and a mashed up banana for breakfast (mash and mix banana into hot porridge to cool down and add linseed). You can also put linseed into yoghurts etc.
Good Luck! – Dr Martin Kittel